Friday, May 25, 2012

Give me a drum roll everybody!!!!!!!

I'm here to announce the winner of the L.AD. 2012 Logo contest!!!

It's Kunity77!!!!!!

Check out her channel at www.youtube.com/kunity77

and more of her artwork at www.boabwhouse.net or www.boabw.etsy.com
Khadijah Unity Shabazz from Tanzania has been always been an artist spiritually, but it wasn't until 2007 that her artistic talent manifested. Her specialty and love is creating black culture art on wood using acrylic paints.

To learn more about Kunity77 and her inspiration for the L.A.D 2012 logo please check out her responses to the following questions:

What inspired your design for Loc Appreciation Day?

At the time, I was full of art. Unfortunately, I could not release it due to a lot of orders I had for hand-painted earrings. So when c0ilykins said she was having a L.A.D logo contest, I wanted to be a part of it. I could release the piece of beautiful art that was trapped inside of me. She asked for a logo that represented the appreciation of locs. I went back to the mother of all humanity which is the Black Woman. I drew her as a tree and her locs were the leaves. She gave life to all humanity which began in Africa , so I made sure I used the African liberation colors on her earring. The name "Originally Rooted" came to mind as I was creating her. Naturally, if we don't do anything to our hair, it will naturally turn to locs.


How do you feel about being a part of Loc Appreciation Day/the Loc'd Movement?

It's peace to be a part of a day and or movement to appreciate your hair. We as black people have had self-hate deeply embedded in us,which is why we didn't like our natural hair. We manipulate its natural state,to look like the quote on quote "standard way of beauty" in this society. Being a part of. L. A.D to me is really being a part of a movement that promotes black self love.

No comments:

Post a Comment